First Aid for Mental Health
Introductory offer… book before 31 December 2018 and get a discounted price of just £99 (+VAT) per place on our open courses, and just £425 (+VAT) for on-site training for up to 16 people.
We all know it but it’s often overlooked… our emotional health and wellbeing is just as important as our physical health and wellbeing. In the UK, some 10 percent of children and young people (aged 5-16 years) have a clinically diagnosable mental health problem. In the workplace, over half a million workers suffer from mental-health related conditions, with around 12.5 million working days being lost in 2016/17 as a result. Tragically, some 5,821 people committed suicide in 2017.
Mental health illnesses are a leading cause of health-related disabilities, and can have long-lasting adverse effects on physical health, educational achievement, social relationships and employment prospects.
This Ofqual regulated, level 2 one day course covers all of the subjects from the awareness qualification, along with giving learners the knowledge and confidence to assess for warning signs of suicide and self-harm, and have a greater understanding of the support available.
Additionally, the course will provide them with the skills to spot the signs of alcohol and drug abuse and how to approach such a topic. They will also learn about the mental health first aid action plan and be a point of contact within their workplace to help and support a person with a suspected mental health condition.
Qualification details and validity
The Award in First Aid for Mental Health (England, Wales, Northern Ireland RQF level 2 / Scotland SCQF level 5) does not expire, however regular refresher training is recommended. The course consists of six contact hours, including of practical and theoretical activities.
Learners won’t be able to diagnose a specific condition or provide treatment, as with physical first aid, but will have the knowledge to identify when a person may have a mental health condition and know where the person can go to seek help.
The course syllabus includes…
- What is first aid for mental health?
- Identifying mental health conditions (including depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, self-harm, eating disorders, personality disorders, bipolar disorder, psychosis, schizophrenia and anxiety)
- Drugs and alcohol
- Managing anger and building self-esteem
- Providing advice and starting a conversation
- Mental health first aid action plan
- First aid for mental health in the workplace
Assessment and certification
Assessment is ongoing by the instructor, via a practical demonstration of the mental health first aid action plan and a multiple choice question paper.
Age restrictions and group sizes
A maximum of 16 learners are allowed per instructor and must be a minimum of 16 years of age.
Training options (open courses, off-peak and on-site training)
- Modern training venues offer ample free parking, free WiFi and free refreshments throughout the day.
- Experienced and friendly instructors.
- Relaxed and enjoyable delivery style.
- All prices subject to VAT.
- Training can take place at a suitable venue of your choice. Sessions can be held during the day, twilights, evenings and weekends.
- More cost-effective for larger groups. (larger group sizes can be accommodated via multiple instructors)
- All prices subject to VAT.